"It is to be the policy of the United States that discrimination on the ground of race, color, or national origin shall not occur in connection with programs and activities receiving Federal financial assistance and authorizes and directs the appropriate Federal departments and agencies to take action to carry out this policy.
Title VI Prohibits:
- Arbitrarily placing a student in a school or class with the intent of separating the student from the general population of students because of the student's race, color, or national origin
- Setting higher standards or requirements as a prerequisite before allowing minorities to enroll in a school, class, or activity
- Unequally applying disciplinary action based on a student's race, color, or national origin
- Failing to provide the necessary language assistance to allow limited English proficient students the same opportunity to learn as English proficient students
- Providing instructional and related services to minority students which are inferior to those provided to non-minority students
- "As a precondition of receiving a grant, contract, or an allocation of federal or state funds, the Department requires that an entity sign an Assurance Agreement statement. By signing this statement the entity agrees to comply with provisions set forth in Title VI as well as the contract."
Any person who feels they have been discriminated against because of their race, color, or national origin may file a complaint. Complaints can be directed to Bonita Kindrick.
Title VI Accountability Coordinator